Author Topic: Mikel Merino. Signed  (Read 2128 times)

Offline R S

• Forum member
Re: Mikel Merino...?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Buy 'em young and sell 'em on for profit. Reminds me of something this......
They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn

Offline AceLV74EVA

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
Happy with this one, big lad, decent in the air and good on the ball. Still think we need a destroyer as well but happy enough with this one on loan to buy
Bob is to blame

Offline ToonArmyFan

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
"Who the f**k$ that guy" haha

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
Really excited by this signing. Think we're okay in centre midfield now, some would argue we need another but I think Hayden is the defensive midfielder we will look to, and with Merino coming in it takes a bit of pressure of both him and Shelvey. Diame capable back up, not a starter though.

Merino looks pure class in the highlights I've seen, could be just what we need.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
Does this push us more into a 433 with him shelvey & Hayden in midfield - Murphy & Ritchie either side of Gayle

Personally think shelvey can't be trusted in a 2 man midfield in this league as he doesn't have the concentration and aptitude to do it

Offline john88

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
i'd go

------------------------GAYLE--------------------------
---AARONS----------------------------------MURPHY---
----------------------------------------------------------
------MERINO--------SHELVEY-----HAYDEN------------
-MANQUILLO---CLARK-------LEJEUNE-------YEDLIN-
------------------------DARLOW-------------------------

Subs - Elliott/Dummett/Lascelles/Mbemba/Diame/Ritchie/De Jong/Perez/De Jong/Mitrovic

Squad is coming together, obviously needs two more at the very least. Ritchie coming off surgery, probably means he's behind on fitness, so Murphy could get the nod on the right. Certainly looks a young, pacey side, with shelvey & merino bringing their technical skills to the table. Can see Manquillo starting a LB (if no other LB is signed), might strike up a partnership with Merino on that side.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:29:05 PM by john88 »

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
i'd go

------------------------GAYLE--------------------------
---AARONS----------------------------------MURPHY---
------MERINO--------SHELVEY-----HAYDEN------------
-MANQUILLO---CLARK-------LEJEUNE-------YEDLIN-
------------------------DARLOW-------------------------

Subs - Elliott/Dummett/Lascelles/Mbemba/Diame/Ritchie/De Jong/Perez/De Jong/Mitrovic

Squad is coming together, obviously needs two more at the very least. Ritchie coming off surgery, probably means he's behind on fitness, so Murphy could get the nod on the right. Certainly looks a young, pacey side, with shelvey & merino bringing their technical skills to the table. Can see Manquillo starting a LB (if no other LB is signed), might strike up a partnership with Merino on that side.

Like that team. Although I would start with Dummett over Manquillo (much better defensively), and Ritchie over Aarons or Murphy giving the side more options and being able to utilise the pace of Atsu and/or Murphy/Aarons off the bench. Really think our side is starting to come together, there's good depth in some of the key areas.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline OmegaprimeVKM

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Aarons over Ritchie?!? What have you been drinking?

I'm not impressed by this signing...too many signings from abroad have been made where the player isn't a star fixture in their previous team...Haidara, Anita, Saivet... They may be playing a lot of games in those divisions but still be too slight build wise for the premier league...Perez, Gouffran, Xisco. This guy has both inadequacies...

I'm willing to give him a chance but he seems a little like a straw clutch of a signing.
The above comments represent the views of OmegaprimeVKM only and nothing more.

Offline john88

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
Obviously Ritchie is first choice, but for spurs, he might be short of fitness coming off that recent surgery. Great to have options though in that final third though.

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Still waiting for the biggies to arrive - striker left back and top midfielder still required in my opinion
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »
Still waiting for the biggies to arrive - striker left back and top midfielder still required in my opinion

'The biggies' won't be arriving. Rafa is building a squad which he believes can give him the options and quality required to compete in the PL. 'The biggies' arrived 2 years ago in Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Mitrovic etc. and were woefully mismanaged and ended up getting relegated. Signing big players guarantees nothing, I'll choose to trust Rafa's judgement of any player we bring in, regardless of stature.

Offline IPG

• Forum member
    • Marcasite Jewellery
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
Aarons over Ritchie?!? What have you been drinking?

I'm not impressed by this signing...too many signings from abroad have been made where the player isn't a star fixture in their previous team...Haidara, Anita, Saivet... They may be playing a lot of games in those divisions but still be too slight build wise for the premier league...Perez, Gouffran, Xisco. This guy has both inadequacies...

I'm willing to give him a chance but he seems a little like a straw clutch of a signing.

Merino is a 6 foot 2 and is not "slight".  :thumbs:

Offline max

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
We do need a couple of "biggies". It's not wijnaldum's fault that Mike Ashley decided to back Steve Mcclaren to the tune of 80m. No other manager at nufc has had that sort of money to spend.

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
'The biggies' won't be arriving. Rafa is building a squad which he believes can give him the options and quality required to compete in the PL. 'The biggies' arrived 2 years ago in Wijnaldum, Thauvin, Mitrovic etc. and were woefully mismanaged and ended up getting relegated. Signing big players guarantees nothing, I'll choose to trust Rafa's judgement of any player we bring in, regardless of stature.

For once we did right thing spending big before the massive increase in fees kicked in unfortunately we gave them players to f***ing tufty

Offline little toon town

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
Signed, happy with this deal, looks a real talent is only 21, loan with view for a permanant deal next summer, obviously freeing funds up for this year :thumbs:
▒▓██ N █ E █ W █ C █ A █ S █ T █ L █ E ██▓▒
▒▓██ U █ N █ I █ T █ E █ D ██▓▒