Author Topic: Mikel Merino. Signed  (Read 3731 times)

Offline peachy

• Forum member
Re: Mikel Merino. Signed
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 03:42:10 AM »
Nice piece in the independent about Merino "It was the next day after I signed for Newcastle and I was with my mum walking near the river and a lot of people, were shaking my hand and going, "All the best mate," and "Have a good season," he recalls. "I looked at my mum and I was like "Woah! I've only just joined and they know me! In Dortmund even on the last day they didn't know!"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-mikel-merino-interview-fans-rafael-benitez-borussia-dortmund-a7937316.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:44:52 AM by peachy »
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline danny

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Looks like the real deal to me, hope we sign him
One day someone is going to kick you in the nuts.... you prob deserved it

Offline ToonArmyFan

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Think he has a 9 million buy out in the loan contract if he plays a certain amount of games

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
Looking like a bargain for ?9m, really hit the ground running and I knew Dortmund must have seen something special in this lad to sign him up for five years, theres no disgrace in being shipped out on loan the following season as they have an embarrassment of riches, some thought he would struggle with the pace of the prem, but as my old dad said there's no substitute for skill son,.aye.

Offline johndavey11

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
just sign the boy now ffs..we all know what will really happen, we will have him for 1 season then as usual will lose out as we wont pay what is being asked.the lad really looks quality.

Offline IPG

• Forum member
    • Marcasite Jewellery
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »
Will definitely be signing him on a permanent basis bar disaster (permanent transfer apparently to be triggered by him making a certain number of appearances). At around ?9m will be an absolute steal in the current market  :thumbs:

Loved the Independent article  :D - seems really happy to be appreciated plus you got to like a player who listens to his Mum  :thumbs:

Offline OmegaprimeVKM

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
I think he's really been a good find - strong in the middle of the park and not afraid of putting some balls around. I hope he works on dead ball delivery - he could be a good replacement for an unreliable Shelvey.

Wasn't pleased with his dive against Swansea though.
The above comments represent the views of OmegaprimeVKM only and nothing more.

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »
Will definitely be signing him on a permanent basis bar disaster (permanent transfer apparently to be triggered by him making a certain number of appearances). At around ?9m will be an absolute steal in the current market  :thumbs:

9m is an absolute steal indeed... in the current market he could go for 25-30 and still seem like reasonable value IMHO.

Offline john88

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »
problem is, we keep banging on about him, the media start to take interest, he keeps performing to a high level, and then the big clubs start talking to the agent, and it ends in tears. by his 20th performances, playing at this level, his agent would of fielded numerous calls and merino will have offers to play elsewhere. the most important man in the whole discussion is probably benitez and persuading him to stay long term. the contract is just a bit of paper, no real guarantee of anything.

i'll be amazed if we snap him up for ?9m or whatever the contract stipulates. he's worth ?20m + in the current market really (spanish u-21 too), so if dortmund dont want him, they will probably be touting him around for double the fee we could get for him.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:50:21 PM by john88 »

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 11:48:05 PM »
Depends what the agreement is in writing...

If it says that if he makes a certain number of appearances then we must pay them the 9m and they must sell him to us then there might not be much they can do to tout him elsewhere... unless he's aware of other interest and turns us down, I can't see that happening - and even if he's aware of other interest, he seems to have his head screwed on and might see a couple of years here under Benitez as an excellent place to continue improving before making a big move when he'd be guaranteed first-team football at bigger teams (which just yet he might not?)

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:58 AM »
problem is, we keep banging on about him, the media start to take interest, he keeps performing to a high level, and then the big clubs start talking to the agent, and it ends in tears. by his 20th performances, playing at this level, his agent would of fielded numerous calls and merino will have offers to play elsewhere. the most important man in the whole discussion is probably benitez and persuading him to stay long term. the contract is just a bit of paper, no real guarantee of anything.

i'll be amazed if we snap him up for ?9m or whatever the contract stipulates. he's worth ?20m + in the current market really (spanish u-21 too), so if dortmund dont want him, they will probably be touting him around for double the fee we could get for him.

I read we have an obligation to buy for ?6.5m with a ?2.7m upfront payment for the loan itself. Once 20 games are played, he's ours - not sure how much Dortmund or any other club for that matter can do about that now that it's agreed.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline New Durham Mags

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »
To Me its very similar to the Thaivan situation when he left on loan, he ripped up the French league and probably added an extra 50% onto his value but we had to sell him for the price we agreed prior to his loan.

I just hope he agrees personal terms and FMA and his crew don't insult him with a low as F#ck wage offer that he turns down.

well done to who ever scouted this kid cos he looks like he can only get better and hes already better than what we used too  :roll:

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Great news  :thumbs:

Offline danny

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
f**k yes
One day someone is going to kick you in the nuts.... you prob deserved it

Offline Deffy.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
Nice one.