Author Topic: Wolfsburg v Newcastle  (Read 802 times)

Offline peachy

• Forum member
Re: Wolfsburg v Newcastle
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
I think Mitro is a pure confidence player.

If his head is up and he's confident and up for the game he'll always be there or there abouts to score a couple.

But when his heads down and doesn't seem to believe in himself he just disappears, if he can sort that part of his game out we'd see a lot more of his potential.

That might be part of it like,

his scoring stats at Anderlecht were shearer standard, but 13 from 59 here that needs to be closer to 25-30, still has time and youth on his side to improve
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
Rafa needed Murphy's experience down there. Nothing to read into here at all. There's a reason Murphy is now gone and Mitrovic is still here.

No, he needed someone who was more likely to score, the reason murphy is gone is because we more or less got back what we paid, with mitro we want ?14m and no-one will pay it thats why he is still here.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »
No, he needed someone who was more likely to score, the reason murphy is gone is because we more or less got back what we paid, with mitro we want ?14m and no-one will pay it thats why he is still here.

Disagree, he was bought for 1 season and was always going to be sold. He played last season because Rafa is a smart manager and knew he wouldn't need to adapt at all to tough games at Championship level - not because he is better than Mitrovic. If he was, he would be getting a chance in the Premier League. Mitrovic on the other hand - at 20 year old, scored nearly as many goals in one season than Murphy did in over 100 games.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Every striker misses chances. Some of our fans are perpetually negative/have selective viewing in my opinion. Mitrovic has great great qualities about him, and contrary to popular belief he does score goals. Yet all I hear is fans slagging him off. Pathetic in my view, he will have a great career wherever he goes and will play for bigger teams than us, yet most of our fans want him out. Totally unreasonable.

Name one?

At the end of the day Strikers are judged on goals scored, that's their bread and butter and the reason why great strikers cost so much because putting the ball in the net is the hardest part of the game, he is aggressive, fearless, has a great rapport with the fans, those must be the qualities you are speaking of.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
Name one?

At the end of the day Strikers are judged on goals scored, that's their bread and butter and the reason why great strikers cost so much because putting the ball in the net is the hardest part of the game, he is aggressive, fearless, has a great rapport with the fans, those must be the qualities you are speaking of.

If you don't think he has any qualities at all then this conversation is pointless as we're watching a different player.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »
If you don't think he has any qualities at all then this conversation is pointless as we're watching a different player.

I've just said what his good points are.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
Excellent pass to Shelvey there to set Atsu up for the goal. Think it was Lejeune but didn't see for sure.

1-3

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
Perez I think

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
we're both wrong, it was Manquillo  :D

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
Good result - excellent first half performance

Offline gaspytoon

• Forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
Good result - excellent first half performance
Happy with the result & performance to give the lads confidence going into the final friendly before the big kick off!!! Still would feel far happier with some new players though :thumbs:

Offline southern_toon

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »
Name one?

Not strictly true.

Look at Emile Heskey, Tell me how he managed 67 England Caps, because it wasn't for his 7 goals.
Peter Crouch has had a sterling career with a club games to goals ratio of 4.5/1
Ei?ur Gu?johnsen. Similar ratio to Crouchy.

I could go on, but its obvious that managers saw qualities (such as hold up play) other than goal scoring in these guys else how did they have such good careers.

I'd like to see a bit more of Mitro and Gayle/Perez playing together.

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »
All those strikers played in a front 2 so they always had someone else scoring the goals

You can only carry a non scoring striker if you play a 2 where the other forward is prolific

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Scores quite a few goals for a non-scoring striker like.

Our fans are too critical, impatient and expect too much in my opinion, especially having just come back up. We're not the Newcastle who can attract an Alan Shearer or Patrick Kluivert anymore. Mitrovic is not perfect by any means but he has qualities which can succeed him in the Premier League (as already proven in my opinion), he needs a good run of matches, a bit of luck & confidence, but most of all he needs supporting. Give the lad a chance and he will come good, after all, who can we get that's better than him like?

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
Anyone miss Jack Colback today :)
We were just one condom away from a better owner