Author Topic: Paul Mersons prediction  (Read 936 times)

Offline gaspytoon

• Forum member
Paul Mersons prediction
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »

Offline AceLV74EVA

• Forum member
Re: Paul Mersons prediction
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
Is 17th really that unrealistic? he has the other newly promoted teams down , there are a few poor teams and we are one of them anything from about 14th to 20th  seems reasonable for a prediction
Bob is to blame

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
I'd take 17th here and now!!!

In my eyes it's out of us, Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley & Watford.
Although do expect stoke to have a stinker & Swansea could be in trouble if sigurdsson leaves
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:28:01 PM by Toon1 »

Offline gaspytoon

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Is 17th really that unrealistic? he has the other newly promoted teams down , there are a few poor teams and we are one of them anything from about 14th to 20th  seems reasonable for a prediction

I agree to an extent that we'll struggle due to the lack of transfers but i think we'll finish a few more places better than 17th.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:32:39 PM by gaspytoon »

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I think there will be a few surprises this season.

I feel one of Stoke, Southampton, Bournemouth, West Brom & Burnley (all previously quite comfortable) will have a poor season and be down in the mix. One of the promoted teams will do well and finish mid-table (13th-10th place).

I for one am not worried about us staying up. I think we absolutely will - IF we keep Benitez. Huddersfield, Brighton, Swansea down.

This league is not as brimming with quality as some will have you believe.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »
I think there will be a few surprises this season.

I feel one of Stoke, Southampton, Bournemouth, West Brom & Burnley (all previously quite comfortable) will have a poor season and be down in the mix. One of the promoted teams will do well and finish mid-table (13th-10th place).

I for one am not worried about us staying up. I think we absolutely will - IF we keep Benitez. Huddersfield, Brighton, Swansea down.

This league is not as brimming with quality as some will have you believe.

It's a very mixed bag, this league... sure, the gulf between the top 7 or 8 and the rest is growing, but everything from 8 down will be better than anything we faced last season by a good margin too... if we hadn't gotten out of that division fairly comfortably I'd have been bricking it, but we'll probably just about be okay with a few more in by the end of the window.

I hear you on Bournemouth, Burnley and to some extent Southampton.
Stoke could do absolutely anything, they've spent a lot of money replacing their ageing lump-kickers and haven't made any progress worth speaking of, that side is rapidly losing identity and consistency, they could just as easily go on a run and wind up 8th as they could go on a very different run and wind up in the bottom 3 - anything could happen.
West Brom are a weird one, they always look s*** when you watch them play and yet they grind out points - classic Pulis/Allardyce type side, I reckon they'll be fairly comfortable.
Swansea are another where pretty much anything could happen - a lot will depend on how they spend the Siggurdson cash (and I'm convinced they will sell him, whether they get their preferred price or not).

I can't see us going down somehow (but maybe that's the optimist talking) there are too many other potential liability teams there - having said that, we're one of those where at the club level anything could happen... it's not so much whether the squad performs, it's whether the club does something stupid like selling a player we can't afford to lose or pissing the manager off over a pointless thing.

f**k knows... but I think we'll just about be okay this season.

Online marki

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
a couple of injuries to key players and we will be severly hampered..hopefully at least 2 more players to arrive

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »

Yes but the drunken cockney c*nt isnt saying 14th is he, you mug,...the point of gaspys thread is that Merson is trying to be a smarta*se by undermining Benitez abilities and simply sweeping under the carpet the fact that he is one of the best managers in Europe and has the CV to prove it in contrast to Merson himself who is an alcoholic smackhead and spunked millions of pounds on a gambling addiction...............f*ck him!!!
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 12:18:21 AM »
I hear you on Bournemouth, Burnley and to some extent Southampton.
Stoke could do absolutely anything, they've spent a lot of money replacing their ageing lump-kickers and haven't made any progress worth speaking of, that side is rapidly losing identity and consistency, they could just as easily go on a run and wind up 8th as they could go on a very different run and wind up in the bottom 3 - anything could happen.
West Brom are a weird one, they always look s*** when you watch them play and yet they grind out points - classic Pulis/Allardyce type side, I reckon they'll be fairly comfortable.
Swansea are another where pretty much anything could happen - a lot will depend on how they spend the Siggurdson cash (and I'm convinced they will sell him, whether they get their preferred price or not).

I agree, there's a group of teams that are very unpredictable, they could either fight relegation or coast a mid-table finish. Stoke you are right about, they have changed their side heavily over past seasons and to me seem no better for it, they have the odd stand out performance over a season but are largely ordinary (probably a reflection of having lots of flair players like Arnautovic, Afellay, Bojan and to an extent Shaqiri - odd stand out performances from them but they all go missing a lot of the time too).

With Southampton & West Brom in that bracket too, I'd say we're also amongst them - maybe it's a bit  bullish to think so and fans of Bournemouth, Swansea, Palace etc. would probably disagree but where we're at as a club taking into account our playing squad, manager & coaching staff, I think it is about the same as those mid-table Premier League sides.

What do we think about Watford? Potential stugglers?
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »
Title odds:

01 Citeh 15/8
02 Manure 10/3
02 Chelski 10/3
04 Spuds 8/1
05 Arse 10/1
06 Liver 12/1
07 Neverton 80/1
08 Leic 200/1
09 Soton 250/1
10 West H 350/1
11 NEWCASTLE 500/1
11 Stoke 500/1
13 Palace 750/1
13 Bourn 750/1
15 West B 1000/1
15 Watf 1000/1
15 Swan 1000/1
18 Bright 1500/1
19 Burn 2000/1
20 Hudd 2500/1

Online Deffy.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Id be over the moon with 11th.

Offline R S

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
17th is acceptable to the board and the fans should be more than happy with this.
They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn

Offline Skoshi

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
17th is acceptable to the board and the fans should be more than happy with this.

that almost sounds like Bob Moncur...  :P

Offline Brian Toon

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
I think Noocasle will go donn , , , Who gives a toss what an overweight Alcoholic Cokney Muppet thinks . This fella cant string two sentences together . We will be fine this season a lot of crap teams in the bottom half of the league and with injuries etc who Knows.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
I think Noocasle will go donn , , , Who gives a toss what an overweight Alcoholic Cokney Muppet thinks . This fella cant string two sentences together . We will be fine this season a lot of crap teams in the bottom half of the league and with injuries etc who Knows.

But you just said we'll "go donn"  :?