Author Topic: Lay off Rafa!  (Read 3970 times)

Offline intheboxagain

• Forum member
Re: Lay off Rafa!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Benitez wanted to be in charge of all transfers - which he pretty much is, this doesn't just mean bringing players in, a big part of it is the resale of current players - i.e. Managing his squad- balancing the books so to speak
There are a lot of players in the squad that he brought in to do a job, gave them good contracts to get them here , and now he is stuck with them - well we all pretty much predicted this , so why didn't Benitez?

I don't think anyone at nufc is beyond reproach , on paper Benitez is the best manager we've had for a long while , but I don't think he's done a very good job of managing the transfers, in a few of the interviews I've seen he looks a bit deflated, poor results on & off the pitch aren't easy to take.

Be interesting to see how this pans out - if he is a great coach / manager then hopefully he should be able to get extra out of an average squad.

You can't lay all the blame at Benitez's door , but no matter how much you worship him he is still culpable, as are the players and of course Mike Ashley

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
Never would have believed such people existed until I heard Total Sport tonight.
One bloke said he was getting fed up of Rafa's moaning - can you imagine the sort of manager that wouldn't moan in this situation? - John Carver.

I think people just forget the situation at the club and default to typical football fandom of blaming the manager. It doesn't matter who the manager is here under this guy. We've had the two best we'll ever get in Keegan and Benitez and both have been lied to and hindered rather than helped.
Or they just can't blame the club
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country from his government"

The managers, except McLaren, have had to make do best they could under his ridiculous ownership. I wasn't anti-Pardew for this reason, I'm certainly not against Rafa.

Who would they prefer and who do they think would replace him?
he's going to go anyway

agree with most of you guys sentiments

Some are blaming his signings from last year who weren't good but they were only for the Championship anyway. Would love to be able to move 6 or 7 out and spend on 3 absolute nailed on first team players.
We know it won't happen though because they won't be hanging on the SD sale rail next to the bargain bucket
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
no Poz you are saying he is blameless.

as a couple of posters have pointed out this is his team, FACT is he has spent over ?80 million and we are going backwards as a quality squad. YES he is a great bloke, a football man, very likeable BUT some of his signings man are utter sh***.

i agree 2-3 quality signings would have been all that was needed, and as to the "quality" targets you allude to, really? they hardly set the pulses racing.

Rafa and the squad did a god job last season and job done  :thumbs:

However its plain to see this bunch need a lot of luck to stay up, don't you agree?

WHO GET'S THE BLAME IF WE GO DOWN?   ANSWER ME THAT.
" sunlun , the s*** that has finally flushed"

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
Benitez wanted to be in charge of all transfers - which he pretty much is, this doesn't just mean bringing players in, a big part of it is the resale of current players - i.e. Managing his squad- balancing the books so to speak
There are a lot of players in the squad that he brought in to do a job, gave them good contracts to get them here , and now he is stuck with them - well we all pretty much predicted this , so why didn't Benitez?

I don't think anyone at nufc is beyond reproach , on paper Benitez is the best manager we've had for a long while , but I don't think he's done a very good job of managing the transfers, in a few of the interviews I've seen he looks a bit deflated, poor results on & off the pitch aren't easy to take.

Be interesting to see how this pans out - if he is a great coach / manager then hopefully he should be able to get extra out of an average squad.

You can't lay all the blame at Benitez's door , but no matter how much you worship him he is still culpable, as are the players and of course Mike Ashley

Spot on

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
Out of Benitez signings, Hanley, Sels, Diame and Lazaar didn't make the grade. To be fair Diame played a part and Sels played like the first 10 games.

It was ?18m down the swanee but we also made ?12m back on Thauvin, Murphy and Mbabu this summer.

We had a squad inflated with sh*** when we went down, and that's why we're now stuck with the likes of Krul, Haidara, Colback, de Jong, Saivet and Riviere, none of which were Benitez' signings

Article in the mag saying de Jong, Riviere and Lazaar are off so there's 3 off the book and probably ?5m recouped.

Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline Scrivener

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 05:47:33 PM »
Tired of the whisperers already making out he is in any way to blame.

The answer is simple Benitez wanted 4 top class players and Charnely delivered none.

?So our first targets? We lost them. That is really important because these targets were what you needed" he said at the talk-in:

The squad should now include Cariballo Cairney Abrahams and Pepe Reina then padded out with the others - I can't have anyone blaming Benitez over this when Charnley already knew Ashley would not sanction these top class 20 mill plus deals.

We are back in Sports Direct bargain basement sales due to exactly the same fukker who's kept us there for years... lay off Rafa!

Bang on the money here Poz.

I would like to think RAFA is appreciated by all if not the majority of Toon Supporters. It's exactly what the Club needs, not only because he is a world class manager, but also the impeccable manner he presents himself, at all times, which puts the Club as well as the City in a positive light.

More importantly, he is just not content with getting the best he possibly can out of his squad on match day, its the whole Club aspect, the restructuring form the ground up at grass toots level - the reserves, the youth team, the academy, and equally importantly, the engaging of the community, including involving the schools, making the players accessible as possible to the fans etc.

He has said, more than once, he views this job as a "project" In other words, he is a visionary, building for the long term. What undermines this, is he has the misfortune to have the owner he has, who being the short sighted money grubber he is, derail Rafa's plans because he refuses to remove the blinkers.

I can see eventually Rafa will become so frustrated with FMA's antics that he will walk, ala King Kev, and this will be a very sad day indeed for the Club, which is at serious risk of imploding and a situation which I fear we will never recover from.

FMA has rode his luck since the day he acquired the Club and is so clueless he fails to recognise that in RAFA the Club has the best possible opportunity to fulfil its potential. FMA quite literally has the power to awaken the sleeping giant, or kick it to death, all for the want of either trusting Rafa and backing him, or as history tells us, go his own sweet way by refusing to heed the obvious.

Rafa just "gets" it - the Club, the fans, the City. The older fans, such as Poz and me, who have been on the roller coaster ride that is NUFC recognise we will never come close to getting better and are alarmed that fans are starting to grumble about Rafa which in itself could be a factor in him becoming disillusioned with the whole affair.

So, to echo Poz - LAY OFF RAFA!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:48:43 PM by Scrivener »
GRAMMAR.

The difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you're s***

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »
Where's that fukin like button gone ???

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »

newcastle 1-forest 2 and being mauled.

Rafas cast off 11...........and out the cup we head, yep, world class

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
newcastle 1-forest 2 and being mauled.

Rafas cast off 11...........and out the cup we head, yep, world class

mackem

Offline mazme4ever

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 11:39:26 PM »
Tired of the whisperers already making out he is in any way to blame.

The answer is simple Benitez wanted 4 top class players and Charnely delivered none.

?So our first targets? We lost them. That is really important because these targets were what you needed" he said at the talk-in:

The squad should now include Cariballo Cairney Abrahams and Pepe Reina then padded out with the others - I can't have anyone blaming Benitez over this when Charnley already knew Ashley would not sanction these top class 20 mill plus deals.

We are back in Sports Direct bargain basement sales due to exactly the same fukker who's kept us there for years... lay off Rafa!
So which of those players you name are worth ?20+ million? Abrahams was coached by the Swansea Manager when he was at Chelsea and Clements physically went to Abrahams house to convince him to sign for Swansea. As far as I know Reina has not signed for anyone.

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
mackem

ok then ..........here's ?100 million, give it to Rafa, would you trust him? would it keep us up

serious question ok , give me reasons why you think it would if you trust him, provide a list of probable players he'd gt right now.

over to you
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM by holycrosser »

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »
With 100m & not taking into account any restrictions :-

I'd of gone for Hernandez - He will score plenty for West Ham this year and was an absolute bargain in ''tis market (his high wages will of put us out the picture tho!)

We desperately need creativity and I highly rate Alejandro Gomez from Atalanta - main position number 10 but can also play out wide. Great vision of passing and also great eye for goal

We need beefing up in defensive midfield is of taken fernando from city (another bargain at about ?5m but again wages would of been issue!) at other end of transfer fees carvalho would be an outstanding signing - perfectly made for the premier league

Centre back - Howedes looks likely to leave schalke but there be far better teams in for him so we wouldn't reay have a chance but ?18m would be a bargain

There would easily be change out of the 100m there also to get a new keeper

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
If I got 100 mill off Holycrosser I'd change identity grow some tits buy a wig and a superb villa in Marbella - fuk the toon.

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
If I got 100 mill off Holycrosser I'd change identity grow some tits buy a wig and a superb villa in Marbella - fuk the toon.

can't/don't want to answer the question Poz?

come on answer it

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
With 100m & not taking into account any restrictions :-

I'd of gone for Hernandez - He will score plenty for West Ham this year and was an absolute bargain in ''tis market (his high wages will of put us out the picture tho!)

We desperately need creativity and I highly rate Alejandro Gomez from Atalanta - main position number 10 but can also play out wide. Great vision of passing and also great eye for goal

We need beefing up in defensive midfield is of taken fernando from city (another bargain at about ?5m but again wages would of been issue!) at other end of transfer fees carvalho would be an outstanding signing - perfectly made for the premier league

Centre back - Howedes looks likely to leave schalke but there be far better teams in for him so we wouldn't reay have a chance but ?18m would be a bargain

There would easily be change out of the 100m there also to get a new keeper

you can't buy Hernandez as he's taken .

even if you got ALL those we'd barely stay up with the rest of the squad, Rafas squad, it's awful.and who's gonna provide the bullets at number 10?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:51:56 AM by holycrosser »