Author Topic: Ritchie challenge- correct decision?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Surreymag

• Forum member
Ritchie challenge- correct decision?
« on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:01 PM »
They have been banging on about this on M.O.D. I think it was the correct decision to book him there was no contact with the player unlike the challenge yesterday. I have to say at the time especially after yesterday I did wonder what the ref would do.

Judging by Chris Sutton's comments I think because of the decision yesterday he felt it should have been red. Similar challenge but no injury inflicted. Knowing our luck he'll probably get a 3 match ban because of them winging on about the refs being inconsistent and Klopp being upset!
Hello hello we are the Geordie boys.

Offline Poz

• Forum member
Re: Ritchie challenge- correct decision?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
Yep that's what I'm thinking - 2 out of 2 against us if they get their way.
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:43:03 PM »
yes it wouldnt surprise me like, .great player Ritchie but standing there on MOTD tonight saying he thought of Mane's challenge yesterday when he did it,....................so does he mean he was trying to f*cking emulate it?

Oh I don't know, I give up trying to second guess what footballers are thinking these days.  :nonono:
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:54:46 AM »
He was booked they can only change that decision in extreme circumstances

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:55 AM »
yes it wouldnt surprise me like, .great player Ritchie but standing there on MOTD tonight saying he thought of Mane's challenge yesterday when he did it,....................so does he mean he was trying to f*cking emulate it?

Probably just thinking how it might've looked tbf.

Wasn't as high, so not as dangerous - that alone might justify slight leniency?

Offline Surreymag

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
He was booked they can only change that decision in extreme circumstances
hope so time will tell. They love a debate on M.O.D. about our players that's for sure.
Hello hello we are the Geordie boys.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Probably just thinking how it might've looked tbf.

Wasn't as high, so not as dangerous - that alone might justify slight leniency?

i beg to differ, it was just as high, mawson is 6'2 and standing at full height and ritchies boot is virtually the same height as his head, Ederson is the same height as Mawson but he is crouching slightly on contact so i would deduce from that both kicks were about the same height.  :)

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
I think the main difference is Ritchie didn't connect with his face - that will probably be the refs explanation.

To be honest on first look I didn't think he caught him at all but replay shows he connected with his arm so has probably got away with one

Offline OmegaprimeVKM

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
High boots are yellow cards. If you catch an opponent then it is violent conduct and a red card.

I don't see why it needs to be discussed - the media is baying for more Newcastle player bans.
The above comments represent the views of OmegaprimeVKM only and nothing more.

Offline gaspytoon

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »
For me i think a yellow card is fair, If the attacking playing is looking at the player & catches the defender, YES it is a red. If the attacking player is looking at the ball then NO it should be a yellow.

OK the foot maybe high but the striker is just trying to win the ball. If you take that type of play out of the game then players would be criticised for not showing eagerness to score :thumbs:

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »
Think both of them were bookings, ball came over Mane's shoulder and he didn't even see the keeper. They both had eyes for the ball only. How many times have you seen keepers come out with their foot raised into a striker's chest and not get punished? It's a contact sport, dangerous yes but not malicious.
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 02:19:02 PM »
He did see the keeper coming out, just because your main focus is the ball doesn't mean you can't see anything else going on to the left or right of the ball, unless you are wearing horses blinkers, Not that I'm saying he meant to kick him in the face but you can't have players flying around with their studs at  heights of 6 feet, that's fooking kung-fu not football.  :roll: 

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
He did see the keeper coming out, just because your main focus is the ball doesn't mean you can't see anything else going on to the left or right of the ball, unless you are wearing horses blinkers, Not that I'm saying he meant to kick him in the face but you can't have players flying around with their studs at  heights of 6 feet, that's fooking kung-fu not football.  :roll: 

Bear in mind how fast it's going, Mane was probably running 20mph and it was well out the box
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline intheboxagain

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
in my opinion neither of the two challenges appeared particularly malicious, but both could have endangered their respective opponent which under the laws of the game is classed as serious foul play and warrants a red card.

Ritchie got away with it :thumbs: (and he's said as much himself)

Mawsons reaction afterward could only have helped ritchies case as well

Ritchie said: ?I had my eye on the ball but Mawson came lower than Ederson.

"I was delighted to see only a yellow card. I looked to the referee and I was lucky.?

Offline R S

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »
i beg to differ, it was just as high, mawson is 6'2 and standing at full height and ritchies boot is virtually the same height as his head, Ederson is the same height as Mawson but he is crouching slightly on contact so i would deduce from that both kicks were about the same height.  :)

Richie's foot is 6' in the air?  There's me thinking he's a shortarse but he must be over 9 foot tall as his foot is chest high. Football is a contact sport and accidents happen.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:02:09 PM by R S »
They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn