Author Topic: Newcastle v Stoke City early thoughts  (Read 2937 times)

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
Re: Newcastle v Stoke City early thoughts
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »
Reason I like Aarons is soon as he gets the ball he has a go and runs at them, his pace is faster than anything we've had since Bellers and he's a canny finisher too. Atsu has something but he's very inconsistent with his dribbling.
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Reason I like Aarons is soon as he gets the ball he has a go and runs at them, his pace is faster than anything we've had since Bellers and he's a canny finisher too. Atsu has something but he's very inconsistent with his dribbling.

We've had some f***ing quick bazzas since Bellers - useless players but very fast (Siss, Obertan... Martins could run when he felt like it too, not often but...)

Offline gaspytoon

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »
Stoke are an annoying team, they're like West Brom, unpredictable!!!

We can expect a physical game & probably a few yellow cards!!! It's a close game to call for me but i think we just have enough to get a win.

2-1 Hopefully :thumbs:

Online PsyQlix

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 01:43:36 PM »
Another tough game. A step up from West Ham and Swansea. One goal in it if theres a winner

Atsu - I think that he has had a good start to the season. He has come on leaps and bounds in the last year. Aarons progress has obviously been curtailed by injuries. He looks exciting but the big difference will be in knowledge of and application of Rafa's system.

Atsu has been drilled throughout the 2nd half of last season and by the end of the season was producing the goods more regularly. Aarons had not had the chance to practice these drills as much, even in training. Rafa will not play anyone that does not rigorously apply the team drills - see Mitro for this. Diame was preferred to Perez for long periods last season. Perez to be fair is putting the work in this season on the defensive side.

I think that he will stick with Atsu for now. Aarons and Murphy will hopefully get more and more game time in the first half of the season from the bench. Both of them have the pace and skill to be competitive for the first 11 in time.

Another tough game on Saturday. Toon to get a point and keep progressing
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:43:56 PM by PsyQlix »

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
I want to agree because I am chuffed for Atsu to be settled here after having an insecure few years on loan all over the shop, now finally at the age of 25 he has a four-year contract under his belt and can at last feel part of something instead of wondering where the f*ck he is going next. I thought this would calm him down but at swansea he was still tripping over the ball too much its almost like his feet move too quick for his brain or vice-versa, we had LuaLua who had the same problem years ago, seem to be trying too hard and you just find yourself wishing for the neat and tidy composure of Mr Terry Hibbert who could sprint down the left flank with those thin little bandy legs skin a defender, light a tab, then with a single glance into the box he could pick out either supermac or Tudor with a swing of that sweet left peg.

So back to reality and personally if Aarons is good to go I would start him against Stoke, and he will do the business this season if he can steer clear of trouble and injuries, I think this kid is an immense talent and is desperate for an opportunity to show what he can do.

For me, Atsu has shown more quality against high calibre opponents over a longer period of time. I think he is super effective in this league, where whilst not perfect as you say, his dribbling ability and pace are enough to beat his man more times than not. Aarons still very raw and hasn't had a run of games in his entire career at no fault of the club. Think he has work to do to be in our starting 11, his injuries are not his fault but it's definitely a problem as he's still very much an unknown quantity, although I appreciate you are excited about him and rate him. Jury is still out for me and I prefer Atsu quite comfortably at the moment.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline holycrosser

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
i promised to be a bit more upbeat after i finally saw a team that could keep us up...... :thumbs:

wouldn't be a set back if we got a point, we must try and pick something up against Stoke at home, any points are vital to steady us, a win would round off a fantastic few weeks.

i see 1-1  :cool:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:22:09 PM by holycrosser »
" sunlun , the s*** that has finally flushed"

Offline R S

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
Would love 3 but happy with 1.
They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
Another tough game. A step up from West Ham and Swansea. One goal in it if theres a winner

Atsu - I think that he has had a good start to the season. He has come on leaps and bounds in the last year. Aarons progress has obviously been curtailed by injuries. He looks exciting but the big difference will be in knowledge of and application of Rafa's system.

Atsu has been drilled throughout the 2nd half of last season and by the end of the season was producing the goods more regularly. Aarons had not had the chance to practice these drills as much, even in training. Rafa will not play anyone that does not rigorously apply the team drills - see Mitro for this. Diame was preferred to Perez for long periods last season. Perez to be fair is putting the work in this season on the defensive side.

I think that he will stick with Atsu for now. Aarons and Murphy will hopefully get more and more game time in the first half of the season from the bench. Both of them have the pace and skill to be competitive for the first 11 in time.

Another tough game on Saturday. Toon to get a point and keep progressing

Eh?

Listen,  if they are good enough and train well in the week they start, that's the Rafa way, cannot see how Merino was exactly clued up with "the knowledge of and application of rafa's system" he just went out, played well and so keeps his place and rightly so.

And then this bit "Rafa will not play anyone that does not rigorously apply the team drills", you're talking as if he has a squad the size of fookin guardiola to choose from, and you also talk as if there is any actual regular pattern to our play, which there isn't,....the reality is he will start with what he sees as the best players in every position BUT which also depends on who has trained well in the week. It's a good situation when they are all fit to have murphy, atsu, aarons and ritchie all competing for wide positions, just as it should be.
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
Eh?

Listen,  if they are good enough and train well in the week they start, that's the Rafa way, cannot see how Merino was exactly clued up with "the knowledge of and application of rafa's system" he just went out, played well and so keeps his place and rightly so.

And then this bit "Rafa will not play anyone that does not rigorously apply the team drills", you're talking as if he has a squad the size of fookin guardiola to choose from, and you also talk as if there is any actual regular pattern to our play, which there isn't,....the reality is he will start with what he sees as the best players in every position BUT which also depends on who has trained well in the week. It's a good situation when they are all fit to have murphy, atsu, aarons and ritchie all competing for wide positions, just as it should be.

You are so obnoxious man :lol: Why do you feel the need to reply to a well-reasoned post with "eh?" and "listen"... as if you're the voice of authority.

For what it's worth, he's bang on, Rafa plays the players he can trust to play out his tactics. Atsu is much more reliable than Aarons.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
You are so obnoxious man :lol: Why do you feel the need to reply to a well-reasoned post with "eh?" and "listen"... as if you're the voice of authority.

For what it's worth, he's bang on, Rafa plays the players he can trust to play out his tactics. Atsu is much more reliable than Aarons.

Eh?

Listen,.Rafa has never had the opportunity to find out if he trusts aarons or not, he's always been injured or had some off-field antics going on, and if he "trusts" Atsu as much as you say why did he start Murphy at Swansea? that blows the well reasoned post clean out of the water  :lol:

4 games in and we havent played the same in any other of them, there is no pattern to the play at all, Spurs match was ruined by injury and the sending off so whatver tactics we started with went out the window, we were dreadful at 'uddersfield, brilliant against West Ham, then subdued first half at Swansea, improved second half, but in general Rafa is trying to get the balance of the side right, he will have seen that Murphy is far too lightweight for the prem, he will have seen how Atsu done reasonably well until the final ball into the box in which he failed to produce time and time again so how is that what you call "reliable"?

He will pick whoever out of the three of them can consistently skin a defender and get some quality crosses into the box, now he wont know which that is untill he has given all three of them a chance to show what they can do. He gave Murphy an hour at Swansea which was fair enough the lad deserves a chance, he may start with Atsu against Stoke but that left wing position is by no means carved in stone, and as i said competition for places is a good thing to have.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
tl;dr

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »
tl;dr

Whey lad how disappointing  :roll: I was hoping to come back home to an educated reply and I get that  :nonono:

PS, Oh btw one of my FOUR driving instructors once told me I was the most obnoxious pupil he had ever tried to learn to drive  :! :D

Online Deffy.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
Whey lad how disappointing  :roll: I was hoping to come back home to an educated reply and I get that  :nonono:

PS, Oh btw one of my FOUR driving instructors once told me I was the most obnoxious pupil he had ever tried to learn to drive  :! :D

4? Were you that obnoxious they kept dropping you?

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
We've had some f***ing quick bazzas since Bellers - useless players but very fast (Siss, Obertan... Martins could run when he felt like it too, not often but...)

Fabrice Pancrate...
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
4? Were you that obnoxious they kept dropping you?

No just this one dropped me, basically every time i failed a test i changed instructor