Author Topic: Newcastle v Stoke City early thoughts  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Poz

• Forum member
Newcastle v Stoke City early thoughts
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
Good performance on the road should give everyone confidence. Looking to improve on that however and maybe Yedlin can be started at right back instead of Manquillo who should technically be only an understudy.
Pity we can't include LeJeune who was magnificent pre-season and looks to be an absolute self-assured rock against what will be a tall Stoke team. Clarke however has done nothing wrong to lose the shirt so a nice predicament.

Jacob Murphy has looked out of his depth so far and Atsu was rather headless late on so I would give the wide berth to Aarons who was really the only stand-out player against Forest in the cup a game in which Murphy was anonymous.

Thoughts???
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline Scoot

• Forum member
Re: Newcastle v Stoke City early thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to see Aarons given a go as well.

Looking forward to the game and a good day out too.

Offline OmegaprimeVKM

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
The minimum target for this game should be to take a point.

Judging by the fact that NUFC have started against 3 easier teams I'm pleased to see the level of goals that have been conceded as low, however, I can't see that being maintained with the 9 Champions League team games yet to be played this season.

Stoke have started well, and played well against Manchester United so I expect them to turn up and go for it.

Are we sure Lejeune won't start? I guess that Clark and Lascelles will keep their places after a good performance on Sunday but playing Clark at LB against a tall Stoke team wouldn't be a boon - it might help in preventing those cross box goals that Choupo-Moting was able to get on the end of. We'll need big and brave defending and I think NUFC will be at a disadvantage without Mbemba who is historically helpful in the box, despite his height.
The above comments represent the views of OmegaprimeVKM only and nothing more.

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
Reckon Joselu will be fired up to show them what they've let go.

I'm not sure on the left... Aarons looks good going forward, but it has be a team that continues to fight for each other - and LB is hardly our best position whoever we stick there.

I reckon we can give these a game - we look okay defensively at the moment (a rarity for us), I don't think there'll be more than a goal in it one way or the other...

Offline Surreymag

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
Reckon Joselu will be fired up to show them what they've let go.

I'm not sure on the left... Aarons looks good going forward, but it has be a team that continues to fight for each other - and LB is hardly our best position whoever we stick there.

I reckon we can give these a game - we look okay defensively at the moment (a rarity for us), I don't think there'll be more than a goal in it one way or the other...
I agree we will give them a decent game and the result will be tight.I will sit in the fence and go for a 1-1 draw.
We are the NU the NUFC

Offline Niffoc88

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
We're at Home and I can see that being an advantage. I too hope that Joselu is fired up he had a few chances against Swansea. And if we improve on that last performance we should be looking at a close game.
@ SPORTS DIRECT.COM

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
Historically good record at home to stoke in all comps pld 41, won 28, drwn 9, lost 4, goals for 99, goals against 34, Joselu with a point to prove to Hughes, Stoke were quite impressive v manutd but that's the norm in Hughes managerial career he always has his teams fired up against them having played almost 350 games for the tw*ts, he clearly wants to be their manager at some point (in his fooking dreams)

Prediction: Newcastle 3 (Joselu 2, Ritchie) Stoke 1 (Cheapo-Moting)
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Offline Poz

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Pity about Mitrovic - Stoke are his kind of team to get stuck into physical battles with - on the same note Ayoze Perez would not be in my team for exactly that reason.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:16:10 AM by Poz »
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline OmegaprimeVKM

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »
Pity about Mitrovic - Stoke are his kind of team to get stuck into physical battles with - on the same note Ayoze Perez would not be in my team for exactly that reason.

Pretty sure he'll end up starting again though :(
The above comments represent the views of OmegaprimeVKM only and nothing more.

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
Just hope we turn up and get the job done.

Elliot
Yedlin Lascelles Clark Gamez
Hayden Merino
Ritchie Shelvey Aarons
Joselu

Bench: Woodman, Lejeune, Manquillo, Diame, Atsu, Perez, Gayle
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:10 PM »
Atsu has to start. He was excellent again coming on against Swansea in a game he should have never been on the bench for in the first place. He's the best out and out winger at the club, quite a bit ahead of Aarons in my opinion.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline Scoot

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
Perez is good at closing people down and not giving opposition players any time on the ball and i reckon thats why Rafa keeps picking him.

Offline DontSellCabaye

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
-------------------Elliot------------------
Gamez---Lascelles---Clark---Manquillo
-----------Hayden---Merino-------------
Ritchie----------Perez--------------Atsu
-----------------Joselu-------------------

Shelvey has shot himself in the foot to be honest. His idiocy should see him miss out again this weekend. How can anybody justify him getting back into an in-form midfield? I don't think Rafa holds any sentiment in giving players starts either. I think we should expect to see him out of the 11 for the foreseeable future, and whilst he's a very talented player - I say good.
Most people gaze neither into the past nor the future; they explore neither truth nor lies. They gaze at the television.

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
Perez is good at closing people down and not giving opposition players any time on the ball and i reckon thats why Rafa keeps picking him.

Precisely... defending from the front, helping prevent the other team gaining too much rythmn, distracting defence from other attackers.

Every now and again he'll do something special in an attacking sense, but mostly he's there to be a bit of a pain - he does a job, even if it's not immediately obvious.

Offline peachy

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
Atsu has to start. He was excellent again coming on against Swansea in a game he should have never been on the bench for in the first place. He's the best out and out winger at the club, quite a bit ahead of Aarons in my opinion.

I want to agree because I am chuffed for Atsu to be settled here after having an insecure few years on loan all over the shop, now finally at the age of 25 he has a four-year contract under his belt and can at last feel part of something instead of wondering where the f*ck he is going next. I thought this would calm him down but at swansea he was still tripping over the ball too much its almost like his feet move too quick for his brain or vice-versa, we had LuaLua who had the same problem years ago, seem to be trying too hard and you just find yourself wishing for the neat and tidy composure of Mr Terry Hibbert who could sprint down the left flank with those thin little bandy legs skin a defender, light a tab, then with a single glance into the box he could pick out either supermac or Tudor with a swing of that sweet left peg.

So back to reality and personally if Aarons is good to go I would start him against Stoke, and he will do the business this season if he can steer clear of trouble and injuries, I think this kid is an immense talent and is desperate for an opportunity to show what he can do.
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.