Author Topic: Newcastle v Crystal Palace Match Thread 21/10/17  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Kalani

• Getting to know the place
Re: Newcastle v Crystal Palace Match Thread 21/10/17
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 04:30:04 PM »
We play the same every week but when I said we play awful football I am bring negative

Offline john88

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »
Only four points off relegation now. This is what I feared. Being great in defence only bails you out for so long, you actually have to score goals. Slowly being dragged back into the relegation area at this rate, with more difficult games to come.

Offline Kalani

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
We never dominate games we play scared all the time and try to win  in the last 10 mins all the time

Offline john88

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Merino, you beauty
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:45:12 PM by john88 »

Offline ToonArmyFan

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »
get innnnnnnnnnnn

Offline john88

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
huge goal/huge win

Newcastle 1-0 Crystal Palace FT
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:52:54 PM by john88 »

Offline R S

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »
Only four points off relegation now. This is what I feared. Being great in defence only bails you out for so long, you actually have to score goals. Slowly being dragged back into the relegation area at this rate, with more difficult games to come.

Wrong.
They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn

Offline ToonArmyFan

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
MASSIVE 3 points them!

Offline Leo7

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Merino, you beauty

How moods can change so quickly, football eh  :lol:

Buzzing man, what a week to be a toon fan. Got jammy today though but doesn't every team at some point? In Rafa we trust!!
Bob the skutter and 2,471 others like this.

Offline shotleyskunk

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »
Match ..who gives a toss...3 points...listen to the words of The Philosophers Stone..by Van Morrison..it  explains Rafas job..3 more points to safety and getting rid of the elephant in the room
If you could have Bill Gates wealth ,or could feed all the hungry in Africa...what color Ferarri would you have?

Offline Surreymag

• Forum member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »
Match ..who gives a toss...3 points...listen to the words of The Philosophers Stone..by Van Morrison..it  explains Rafas job..3 more points to safety and getting rid of the elephant in the room
Totally agree we will not set the world alight with our players just think what might happen if we get some investment and strengthen the squad. I hear that we were lucky I don't care it's a win 3 more points. Up front we are short but Rafa still manages to get results. It maybe dull but it seems to be effective given the players we have!
We are the NU the NUFC

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
Poor performance - never threatened but neither did they so defence has to be applauded.

Joselu is f***ing shocking - I don?t remember him winning a single header all day - Perez anonymous again

It may not be exciting football but with the players we have got we are never gonna score many so keeping it tight is best way - we are the most organised I?ve ever seen us in my life - players know their jobs and give their all.  I?d take that every day of the week!!

By the way what a horrible little clown Zaha is - constantly diving and crying

Offline AceLV74EVA

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
Not the best of performances but over the moon with the 3 points, think we struggled for the second part of the 1st half and the first of the second due to them overunning the midfield and the running of Zaha and Shithouse#2 up top thought they didn't create much

Think the subs for both teams turned the game for us with Rafa bringing on Merino and Diame for Hayden and Perez which allowed us to control the ball more as Merino is better on the ball than Hayden and Diame wasn't losing it every time like Perez. Palace seeming to settle for the draw and taking Zaha off helped as well as it allowed us to push further up

Got a bit of luck with the header but after dropping points in close away games like Huddersfield, Brighton and Southampton I'm happy it went our way for a change especially as Shithouse #1 got away with a challenge I'm pretty sure if a player in black and white had committed it, it would have been a red.

Elliot- Didn't really have much to do

Yedlin- Very poor on the ball at times today, but his pace is such an asset, hopefully he can get back to his best next week

Lascelles- Good solid performance, showed his pace was back to deal with Zaha at times

Lejeune- similar to last week looks composed on the ball and has a knack for intercepting the ball, caught out by shithouse #2's pace to get booked was his only downside

Manquillo- plenty of endeavour and he did OK defensively, still seems a bit headless at times though

Ritchie- Not as strong as he has been but he worked his arse off as usual with limited options and at the end when we were defending the lead had the burst of energy to keep the ball at their end of the pitch

Hayden- seemed to be overran a bit in the middle today, a like the lad but no way should he be starting over Merino

Shelvey- showed his class at times with some nice balls spreading the play but even with his passing range sometimes he just had nothing on, looked better when Merino came on as well

Atsu- lost the ball a lot in the first half, a frustrating performance as he just seems to make bad decisions all the time, despite having some real talent

Perez- after showing so much last week, he had a shocker today, couldn't keep the ball at all and his workrate seemed so much lower than in previous games

Joselu- isolated but didnt seem to work the line enough or hold it up well enough for me

Merino- should have started, a calming influence gives us so much more control, glad he has got a goal, needs to be starting week in week out

Diame- slow mo done good, gave us some presence up top which allowed us to play again, hate to say it but he should start vs Burnley

Mitro- a bit livelier than Joselu, surely now is the time to give him  a chance?
Bob is to blame

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline PsyQlix

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
Another organised, hard working performance. As many have said, not a great deal of good football today. We were on the back foot for parts of the game, but we kept the shape and restricted them to half chances at best. Elliot has not made a save all game. There was no luck in this win. The team worked hard and earned it. That is the consistent theme this season - we are in every single game with a chance.

Crystal Palace are adrift now at the bottom. Joselu and Perez work hard, do an honest shift and keep shape for the team, but in all honesty, I'd swap them for Zaha and Townsend every day of the week. If Rafa had those two, then we'd be knocking teams over. That puts our results into perspective.

We came on strong the last 15 minutes. Merino made an impact and gave us some control in the midfield. He was comfortable receiving the ball under pressure, retaining it and giving simple forward balls. It also took some of the pressure off Shelvey, who was closely tracked and for most part, retreated into the back three to play quarterback balls. When Merino came on, there was now another midfielder to receive the ball from defence and Shelvey got more space.

We got the goal and the place erupted. The next 8 minutes were hilarious. Backs to the wall and quick breakouts. Mitro performed a keystone cops push on their defender in the corner. It was terrific stuff. There is a feel good atmosphere back at SJP and a real bond between the fans and players again. It has been missing for a long time. The players are far from world beaters, but they give their all for each other and they give a s*** for the club. The manager is the catalyst.

26 points to go