Author Topic: City of Culture shocker!!!  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Poz

• Forum member
City of Culture shocker!!!
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Sunderland didn't get it  :! :! :!

Why man they didn't look proply yer knaa - aa mean look at the trees next to the glass centre - wees trees are these trees like  :look:

Then there's the artistic seat design in the stadium yer naa pink red and....

Fekkin Coventry wadda they got that the Pennywell doesn't have like  :?
We were just one condom away from a better owner

Offline TK

• Forum member
Re: City of Culture shocker!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:06:44 AM »
Tbf, when such an "illustrious" list contains utter shithole like Hull and Coventry, you have to wonder what definition of "culture" they're using and why they've chosen one so out of keeping with common parlance...

Offline paullaydon14

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »
Tbf, when such an "illustrious" list contains utter shithole like Hull and Coventry, you have to wonder what definition of "culture" they're using and why they've chosen one so out of keeping with common parlance...

Everyone mistakenly makes this assumption that being made City of Culture is like having some sort of honour bestowed on the City involved,it is in fact the complete opposite ,the more of an underprivileged shithole it is the more likely you are to win.This scheme was brought out to help Cities that are in severe decline in an attempt to kick start their economies,and begin Urban regeneration of the area, it works to a point Liverpool is unrecognisable now from what it was when I first went there, we have seen it develop as we visit the City socially and pass through reregularly when we get off the Ferry.Glasgow also has been brought back to life and is now booming as is Liverpool,so nothing to be proud really being shortlisted for City of Culture.It is basically the equivalent of the old slum clearance and improvement grant.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:07:58 AM by paullaydon14 »
The passion for NUFC is huge and Ashley is trading on that loyalty. Just for me I had to make a personal choice that cleared my conscience. The sad fact was I never demanded success,  all I wanted was hope.
By Fatlegend 22/02/2015

Offline Jonas14

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
^
exactly right. Wouldn't have been spun that way of course.
Its for the minor cities, to give them a leg up or something.
Like the inanimate carbon rod on the Simpson's eventually, all the minor cities will get it because there's only so many to go around.

Coventry is the best place on the list however, from what I've seen.
It would have been a bit damaging to the award to give it to sunderland, being regarded nationwide as one of the worst places in the country.

the only difference it would have/has made is to mackems attitudes which today is: doesn't mean anything today, still going to carry on doing the same stuff, still a great place etc. Whereas two days ago it was going to put them on the map (like Hull, inundated with tourists) and change so much.