Author Topic: TOON V MAN UTD  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Deffy.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
Re: TOON V MAN UTD
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
Dubravka looked the buisness between the sticks. Chuffed to bits with the win, will be even more chuffed if we build on it next game.

Looks like we really are Jose 's boggie team.

Offline nufcjon

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Shelvey looked the best he has in years
Keepers saves were good, but any keeper can have a good day with shot stopping, but his decision making and coming for crosses was class, he looked really impressive today

Joselu came on and reminded me how much I hate him

Offline Brian Toon

• Getting to know the place
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 04:47:30 PM »
Great win today. Utto 13th now. Not the biggest diame fan but he put in a shift today and has looked good for us in recent games. Our defence looked solid too this result was badly needed and we might kick on a bit now and get in the top half

Offline dec6767

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
Get the f**k in.

For it to come from a free kick for diving makes it even sweeter

a dive from Smalling no less who's built like a brick shithouse, embarrassing

Offline Surreymag

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »
That was a fantastic performance from back to front. Certain players were immense but the whole team deserves credit. Happy days more to come please!
Hello hello we are the Geordie boys.

Offline Basileus

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
Jose was fair in the after match interview. The opposite of the usual whiners like Mark Hughes or Moyes.
I think we may finally have the keeper we need.
We had the luck today - but we've had so bloody little all season, we're still in defecit
Shelvey and Diame played as we know they can but have NOT done much of this season.
We need another half dozen wins like this. This league is going to go to the last minutes for 3 relegation spots to be decided from 7 or 8

Offline TK

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
We looked better last time out with Kenedy added in, we looked better today with Dubravka... If Slimani provides any kind of threat at all (and if we have options to buy all three), then I think it might be fair to say Rafa's January window a resounding success?

Offline ToonArmyFan

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
Some great saves from our keeper especially the one v one vs martial and the one in the last minute

Shelvey was a man possessed today, brilliant

Offline Deffy.

• Global Moderator
  • Forum member
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
Our other keepers are distinctly average - new lad looks a significant upgrade on that performance!

Do we have an option?
[/quot
Our other keepers are distinctly average - new lad looks a significant upgrade on that performance!

Do we have an option?

I believe we have an option on all 3 players.

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »
Great win. We have some very smart and streetwise players (Shelvey, Ritchie, Perez) and some not so smart ones (Yedlin, Kenedy, Atsu). I'd sooner see a Shearer style hold-the-ball-in-the-corner more often though, no wonder we've conceded so many late ones!
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”

Offline Basileus

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
I believe we have an option on all 3 players.
Ashley won't pay what Leicester want for Slimani.
The Serbian lad has put a backbone back into NUFC
Players like Ljeune Lascelles Dummett and co will all come on leaps and bounds with someone behind them they can rely on.
We WON'T get Kenedy. He'll go back to Chelsea
I recall recently reading one reporter RIGHTLY saying how ridiculous it was that Newcastle have to go for loans and scraps from far "smaller" clubs like Leicester instead of buying what is actually NEEDED
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:59:44 PM by Basileus »

Offline PsyQlix

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
Days like these. The stadium jumping, Blaydon Races ringing out, the team giving it all to overturn the odds. For a Geordie, no where like SJP on days like today.

This team gives it all. That's been the same all season. Today we earned the breaks that came our way. The effort deserved it. Great leadership on the pitch. Last ditch tackles. Bodies on the line and nobody letting their teammates down.

Kennedy adds quality to our workrate and organisation. Shelvey easily had his best game. Instead of dropping into defence to play quarterback, he played further forward, got the ball under pressure and played the mix of short and long passes that made the team tick. Diame was terrific in breaking up play and putting pressure on Pogba.

Lejune looked excellent next to Lascelles. He is the best passer that we have in our defence. With Lascelles beside him, he also looked a decent defender. The keeper is a big guy, with a real presence in the box. A debut to dream of.

If Slimani can add some quality upfront, then we have a real chance of staying up. It is so tight that 10 more points would surely do it. We need 3 teams to get detached. Chelsea please beat WBA tomorrow. That would surely finish them.

After the Huddersfield result I feared the worst today. The team delivered. Still many more battles, but this team is up for it.

Offline john88

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Not sure it?s a question of ?if? Slimani can produce now, it?s ?when? he produces. Our squad is so poor, look a top the impact Kenedy & Dubravka have had. Slimani will score goals, as he?s far superior to what we?ve got right now.

Actually quite optimistic right now. Should of held on vs Swansea for the win, should of won at Palace & now won against United. Every game seems we can scrap something.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:35:27 PM by john88 »

Offline Toon1

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
Get the f**k in there :D what a result we rode our luck a bit but also had some against us as was penalty just before half time!

In last 9 games that?s 13 points with 3 wins, 4 draws & 2 defeats (both against city!)

We pressed the ball much higher up pitch again today - every good performance we have done that so hopefully it continues longer term.

The keeper looked very assured and confident - we?ve needed someone to show confidence back there for years it?s very early but hopefully he is the one we been looking for

Defence played very well - lejuene has taken a lot of stick but he did well today

Shelvey had one of his best games for us he needs to continue to play but higher up the pitch and Diame looks a different player last few weeks

I?ve been very critical of Ritchie this year but that was his best performance by a mile and good goal to top it off. Kennedy continues to impress.

Still weak up top so hopefully slimani will add the presence we need

For people asking about options to buy I?m sure there?s only the keeper with that written into the loan deal

Offline ohsholaameobi

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
Those 3 players we've got on loan, Dubravka has a clause to buy for ?4m in the summer.
Slimani I think has a ?20m clause but it obviously depends how well he does. He's 29 but he is a prolific striker - all his highlights don't show great goals but the goals of someone who knows where the net is.
Kenedy wasn't very good today and I think his decision making needs to improve, however can see why Chelsea wanted to keep him as he has skill, pace, and creativity in abundance. Would be tough to buy him.
Alan Pardew: “It was all good up until when it kicked off.”